Review Call me by your name - André Aciman

call me by your name-andre aciman-9781250169440Synopsis
<<Now a Major Motion Picture from Director Luca Guadagnino, Starring Armie Hammer and Timothee Chalamet, and Written by Three Time Academy Award Nominee James Ivory

Andre Aciman's Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera. Each is unprepared for the consequences of their attraction, when, during the restless summer weeks, unrelenting currents of obsession, fascination, and desire intensify their passion and test the charged ground between them. Recklessly, the two verge toward the one thing both fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy. It is an instant classic and one of the great love stories of our time.>>

Opinion
Firstly, I'd like to clear I'm not a big fan of romantic novels because I need more plot apart from the main character's love story.

However, this book hooked me from the start merely because of the author's writing style. It looks like a monologue but not completely, he mixes Elio's thoughts with descriptions and dialogue. I also loved the references and metaphors, they are so well placed because they're introduced in the middle of a conversation due to the character's personality which, I have to say, is very special.

Not only Elio or Oliver, his newcome love interest, but the whole family and context is weird and unique, which helps to make the story interesting and complex, rather than a boring and tooth aching sweet romance. Moreover, I must mention how wonderful Italy is described, its surroundings and atmosphere, it makes me want to go there for a relaxing vacation just like theirs.

When talking about the characters, Elio is a great narrator and has a deep internal world. He overthinks like most of us would do in his situation, at least I found myself in him whenever he wandered around wondering how should he act or what should he say. And now, regarding Oliver, he complements Elio perfectly and has an enhancing personality, at first sight, it can llok plain and easygoing, but he shows his doubts and insecurities through the book too.

Although I have to add, there's some scenes and commentaries which I find... too personal? Intimate? I'm quite reserved in some aspects so I was kind of uncomfortable, nevertheless, it's another view to add to my perspective.

Rating
8 de 10
In these days of confinement, I'd highly recommend this book.
It's entertaining and also expands yor vision at the same time that makes you ache.
The end was... sigh. I can't even talk, saddening at the very least.

Read you, or maybe not, Nym~

You Might Also Like

0 comentaris