Interview to Katharine McGee, author of the trilogy The Thousand Floor





Hello, here is the interview to Katharine McGee, the author of the thousand floor trilogy.
We hope that you like it!!

Social media:
Twitter/Instagram: @katharinemgee
Web page: http://katharinemcgee.com/

Hi! Here are the answers to your questions. Thanks so much for reaching out and for helping to support the books!



*Generic questions:


1- What does writing mean to you?

Writing is a dream come true! I feel so very lucky to get to do a job that I love, and am thankful for all the readers who make it possible.

Traducción:

¿Qué significa la escritura para ti?

<<¡Escribir es un sueño hecho realidad! Me siento muy afortunada de poder hacer un trabajo que amo, y estoy agradecido por todos los lectores que lo hacen posible>>.


2- At what age did you start writing? And why?


My first fiction writing was in first grade: a long story about a family of mice that lived underneath our school. I was very inspired by the Redwall series, which I highly recommend if you haven’t read it!

Traducción:

¿A qué edad comenzaste a escribir? ¿Y por qué?

<<Mi primer trabajo de ficción fue en primer grado: una larga historia sobre una familia de ratones que vivía debajo de nuestro colegio. ¡Me inspiró mucho la serie Redwall, que la recomiendo si no la has leído!>>


3- How did you came up with the idea of The Thousand Floor?

I lived in New York for five years—working in publishing, as an editor of young adult fiction—so I was thinking a lot about the dystopian craze that has recently dominated the entertainment market. As a consumer, I love these novels and movies. But I couldn’t help wondering what it indicated about us as a society that our conceptions of the future were so utterly bleak. I kept hoping that someone would write a brighter version of the future: one where humans had actually improved upon the world of today, rather than turning it into something twisted and broken. I realized that I wanted to write about a glittering, high-tech, futuristic city, where teenagers don’t have to save the world, but instead, where teenagers are simply being teenagers—flirting, fighting, making mistakes, falling in love.

Traducción:

¿Cómo se te ocurrió la idea de The Thousand Floor?

<<Viví en Nueva York durante cinco años, trabajando en publicaciones, como editor de ficción para jóvenes adultos, así que estaba pensando mucho sobre la moda distópica que recientemente ha dominado el mercado del entretenimiento. Como consumidor, amo estas novelas y películas. Pero no pude evitar preguntarme qué indicaba sobre nosotros como sociedad, nuestras concepciones del futuro eran tan sombrías. Seguí esperando que alguien escribiera una versión más brillante del futuro: una donde los humanos realmente han mejorado el mundo de hoy, en lugar de convertirlo en algo retorcido y roto. Me di cuenta de que quería escribir sobre una ciudad brillante, de alta tecnología y futurista, donde los adolescentes no tienen que salvar el mundo, sino donde los adolescentes simplemente son adolescentes: flirteando, peleándose, cometiendo errores, enamorándose>>.

*About the books:

4- Which one is your favorite character? And why?

I don’t think I could pick a favorite, the same way that a parent can’t pick a favorite child! Each of the characters has at least a little bit of me in them. For instance, I have a younger sister, and am fiercely protective of her and proud of her the way that Rylin is of Chrissa. A lot of my love for Lizzy found its way into Rylin’s feelings toward Chrissa (and a lot of their dialogue is the type of thing that Lizzy and I say to each other!). I will say that I am the proudest of Eris’s story, simply because she is juggling so many things over the course of the first book—a new relationship, family drama, and a growing self-awareness. I had to work the hardest to make sure that her story felt balanced and complete.

Traducción:

¿Cuál es tu personaje favorito? ¿Y por qué?

¡No creo que pueda elegir mi favorito, del mismo modo que un padre no puede elegir a su hijo favorito! Cada de los personajes tiene al menos un poco de mí en ellos. Por ejemplo, tengo una hermana menor, y soy ferozmente protectora de ella y orgullosa de ella de la misma manera en que Rylin lo es con Chrissa. Mucho de mi amor por Lizzy encontró su camino en los sentimientos de Rylin hacia Chrissa (y muchos de sus diálogos es el tipo de cosas ¡que Lizzy y yo nos decimos!). Diria que de la historia que estoy más orgullosa es la de Eris, simplemente porque ella hace malabares con tantas cosas en el transcurso del primer libro: una nueva relación, drama familiar, y una creciente auto-conciencia. Tuve que trabajar mucho para asegurarme de que su historia se viera equilibrada y completa.

5- Did you had in mind from the start who was going to fall from the Thousand Floor?
I will admit that in the very first version of The Thousandth Floor outline, a different character fell from the thousandth floor. But even before I had started writing the first draft, I realized that she wasn’t the right character to fall—she had too much unfinished business left in the Tower! While I was devastated to kill the character that I did end up killing, I am also glad that I chose her, simply because I know all the readers have been so surprised.

Traducción:

¿Tenias en mente desde un principio quien se iba a caer del piso mil?

Debo admitir que en la primera versión del esbozo de The Thousandth Floor, un personaje diferente cayó del piso mil. Pero incluso antes de que comenzara a escribir el primer borrador, me di cuenta de que no era la persona adecuada para caer: ¡tenía demasiados asuntos sin terminar en la Torre! Mientras estaba devastado por matar al personaje que terminé matando, también me alegro de haberla elegido, simplemente porque sé que todos los lectores se han sorprendido tanto.

6- Who is your favorite couple?

I love all of them, for different reasons! But, there is a new couple in the second book who are very dear to my heart—probably because they are so unexpected J

Traducción:

¿Cuál es tu pareja favorita?

¡Los amo a todos, por diferentes razones! Pero, hay una nueva pareja en el segundo libro que son muy queridos para mi corazón, probablemente porque son tan inesperados.
*Personal questions:

7- What do you think about your own novel?
It has been so much fun to write this series. As I wrap up the third book, I feel a very confused mix of nostalgia, bittersweet pride, and excitement about what I will work on next. I know I’m going to miss these characters, but I also feel good about how the series ended, and am ready to explore new worlds and adventures.

Traducción:

¿Qué opinas de tu propia novela?

Ha sido muy divertido escribir esta serie. Al concluir el tercer libro, siento una mezcla muy confusa de nostalgia, orgullo agridulce y emoción sobre lo que voy a trabajar a continuación. Sé que voy a extrañar a estos personajes, pero también me siento bien acerca de cómo terminó la serie, y estoy listo para explorar nuevos mundos y aventuras.

8- A part from the trilogy, do you have other projects in mind? If you can, explain a bit ;)
I do have another project in the works, but I can’t say anything about it yet. Hopefully I can share more soon—follow me on Instagram to find out! J

Traducción:

A parte de esta trilogía, ¿Tienes otros proyectos en mente? Si puedes, explica un poco ;)

Tengo en proyecto otro proyecto, pero aún no puedo decir nada al respecto. Espero poder compartir más pronto, síeguidme en Instagram para descubrirlo. J

9- What advice would you give to us, young writers?

Keep reading! Read everything that you can get your hands on. Books are windows into someone else’s experience of the world, and for that reason they are incredibly valuable to writers. Read all types of books, really pushing your comfort zone to new types of prose or even poetry. Also, keep writing! Writing is like a muscle, you have to keep practicing it. Some days you won’t write your best work, but the important thing is to keep going.

Traducción:

¿Qué consejo nos darías a los jóvenes escritores?

¡Sigue leyendo! Lea todo lo que pueda tener en sus manos. Los libros son ventanas de la experiencia del mundo de otra persona, y por esa razón son increíblemente valiosos para los escritores. Lea todo tipo de libros, realmente empujando su zona de confort a nuevos tipos de prosa o incluso poesía. Además, sigue escribiendo! Escribir es como un músculo, tienes que seguir practicándolo. Algunos días no escribirás tu mejor trabajo, pero lo importante es seguir.


10- Would you come someday to Spain and organize a book signing?

I would absolutely love that! I studied in Spain, in Salamanca, the summer of 2007, but I haven’t been back since. I think it’s high time that I returned!

Traducción:

¿Te gustaría venir algún día a España a hacer una firma de libros?

¡Me encantaría eso! Estudié en España, en Salamanca, en el verano de 2007, pero no he regresado desde entonces. ¡Creo que ya es hora de que regrese!
-Katharine McGee

You Might Also Like

0 comentaris